[ Top ] [ Japanese ]
Glauconite series (Photo) [abbr. Glt ]
Year of discovery: 1897 (Japan)
Locality list: 148 localities of glauconite
- A series name of several end-member minerals
- Class: Trioctahedral < Interlayer-deficient mica group - Mica supergroup
- Class: Phyllo-Aluminosilicate - Hydroxide
- Comments: Soluble in HCl (Decompose)
- Comments: Radioactive (Very weak)
- Comments: Formed by alteration of biotite under mildly reductive circumstances such as sharrow sea supplying little sediments.
- Comments: Continental shelf edge to continental slope of 50 - 500 m depth. Upper or bottom surface of oxgen minimum zones of the sea area where sedimentation rate is slow and biological production is large.
- Kano (2018) Jour. Geol. Soc. Japan, vol.124, no.10, pp.781-803.
- System: Monoclinic
- Group: 2/m, C2/m
- Lattice: a=5.2, b=9.1, c=10.2, β=100.5